Location: Programs & Services
>> Volunteer Program
Volunteering at SHHA
Volunteering is an exciting and rewarding opportunity, which allows participants the satisfaction of helping others, and to gain valuable experiences in the process. However, it is important that we make sure you understand that volunteering is a commitment and is to be taken as seriously as any employment opportunity. In order to ensure you are completely aware of the commitment and details of the program, we have outlined some of the finer points here:
- Volunteer placements at South Huron Hospital Association (SHHA) and South Huron Medical Centre (SHMC) are typically for a duration of 125 hours (approximately 1 year) or 70 hours for students in academic placements. This is completed by volunteering 3-4 hours per week.
- Minimum age to volunteer is 16. There are some exceptions such as Gift Shop which allows volunteers 15 years of age, and certain areas which may have stricter age requirements.
- At this time SHHA and SHMC do not offer general ‘job shadowing’ or observation placements in the clinical setting. These types of placements will only be considered and granted to those students associated with a secondary or post-secondary school program. Requests must be forwarded by the placement coordinator/facilitator of the program. Each volunteer is expected to undertake the application and orientation process and meet the minimum commitment requirements for the placement type they are requesting.
Please note: Placements in the Emergency Department will only be considered and grantedto those students associated with a post-secondary school program.
- There are boundaries between volunteers and employees, and volunteers cannot complete any tasks which can only legally be performed by our trained health professionals such as doctors nurses, lab and x-ray technicians, physiotherapists, etc. Therefore volunteering is not an opportunity to develop technical or clinical skills.
- Applicants must have been residents in Canada for the past twelve months and have proof of health insurance.
- Because the region where SHHA and SHMC are located is predominately English-speaking, all volunteers must be fluent in oral and written English.
- Some areas of the hospital do not offer placements. Please examine carefully our typical volunteer placement opportunities which are listed later in this section.
Continue to Placement Details
South Huron Hospital Foundation
Visit the SHHF Website
Donate to the SHHA Foundation
Donate to the SHHA Auxiliary
or E-mail: click here
South Huron Medical Centre: